Today’s church is built on the ruins of another one. The previous one was profaned by Bishop Baloguer that the new church must to keep going the great devotion that the old one had.
The permit was given on the 17th June 1663 from the same Bishop Balaguer. In 1675 it began to be constructed and was ready by 1678. The money for its building was raised from collections by the village people. The Apostolic visitor Mons Pietru Duzzina renamed ‘Tal-Virtu’. On the 29th August 1679 Bishop Mikiel Glormu Molina declared it a parish with Dun Ganmarija Camilleri as its first parish priest.