Home    |    Notice Board    |    Locality News    |    Press Releases    |    Map    |    Locality Services    |    Contact Us
< >
Press Releases
Annual Activities

Local News
International News
Sport News
Malta Weather
Exchange Rates

About 'l-Għarb'
The Council
Locality Services
Services Offered by
Europe for Citizens
Twinning with Gerano
OBIMED Project

Village History
The Parish
Folklore Museum
Places of Interest
Traditional Recipies
Photo Gallery

Transport to Gharb

Local Clubs
Gharb Parish Centre
The Gharb Club in M.

Contact Us

Press Releases
On Sunday the 3rd of February, 2013 the restoration project at San Dimitri chapel was inaugurated by Hon. Chris Said, Minister of Justice, Dialogue and the Family. This project was done by funds from the European Union under the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (Measure 323) which funded 75% of the costs involved. The other 25% of the funds was granted by the Central Government. This project with the name ‘Gharb’s Cultural and Touristic Conservation Project’, worth €636,021 involved five investments: The Restoration of San Dimitri Chapel, the restoration of Taż-Żejt Chapel, the restoration of Ta’ Sdieri Bridge, restoration of rubble walls and the restoration and study of the square Cross. The Council was able to give a larger dimension to this project and through savings from some of these investments, also managed to conduct restoration works at Pjazza Żjara tal-Madonna and will also be carrying out restoration to the facade of the Parish Church along with the parvis and the war time shelter in the square. During the inauguration activity there was a musical program with the participation of Mary’s Angels Choir, poem reading and historical information about the chapel and restoration interventions. The Mayor David Apap and Minister Hon. Chris Said also gave a speech for the occasion. At the end of the program the commemorative plaque was inaugurated followed by refreshments. As already mentioned before this project also included the restoration of Taż-Żejt Chapel that was inaugurated on Sunday, 24th of February, 2013 by the Minister for Gozo Hon. Giovanna Debono. For this inauguration there was also a program that included a mass, violin musical interventions, speeches of the occasion, the inauguration of the commemorative plaque and refreshments.
Return to Top of the Page